In 1986, the 200th anniversary of Granby's founding, the SBHS published the following self-guided "history" tour of the town. Please feel free to print this guide and map and go enjoy our wonderful town.
Most of the places mentioned in this tour are privately owned and are not open to the public; they may be viewed from the outside only. Places open to the public are indicated with a star.
Look at the delightful variations in the 19th century attic windows along Salmon Brook Street. Features to look for in the 18th century homes are large center chimneys, coffin doors (usually on the south side of the house), and the center doorways.
The Salmon Brook Ecclesiastical Society was part of Simsbury - settled circa 1700.
The Town of Granby was incorporated in 1786.
Salmon Brook Street (driving north)
1) McLean Game Refuge - 4000 acres of unsurpassed natural beauty, established by the will of George P. McLean in 1932.
2) Salmon Brook Park - Town park with swimming, tennis, ball fields and concert shell. In the 1920s and 30s there was a 27 hole golf course here.
3) Salmon Brook Historical Society - Both houses are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Abijah Rowe House c. 1753
Weed-Enders House c. 1790 (moved here from Enders State Park, West Granby)
Cooley School c. 1870 (moved here from North Granby)
4) Salmon Brook Street is tree lined, with broad lawns and well-kept 18th and 19th century houses.
Here are a few worth noting:
200 Salmon Brook Street - Originally a school located on East Granby Road. Moved here in 1822. It may be the oldest building (not house) in Granby, possibly from the early 1700s.
213 Salmon Brook Street - Built by Jonathan Church in 1816.
225 Salmon Brook Street - The big yellow house on the corner of Pendlelton Road was built in the late 1800's and was part of the Dr. Ernest R Pendleton's hospital in the 1920s.
239 Salmon Brook Street - The beautiful landmark in gold behind the only picket fence remaining on the street - possibly built by Jonathan Church 1814 - for many years home of the Dibble-Bruce-Edwards families.
245 Salmon Brook Street - Built in 1861 Harrison Loomis and stayed in the Loomis family until 1971.
South Congregational Church - Built in 1918 with the Parish House and Granby Visiting Nurses Building (Originally the Granby Public Library) after a fire in 1917 destroyed an 1870 building on the Nurses site. The burned building had housed a library, private academy and ( after 1871) the South Church.
254 Salmon Brook Street - built c. 1800 for Thomas Holcomb, a lawyer.
June Shattuck Feley's Print Shop - Built in 1855, building has housed a school, law office, Gillin's Harness Shop and Allen D. Shattuck Print Shop.
255 Salmon Brook Street - Built c. 1876, by Miles G Gaines, as a hotel.
5) Granby Green - was part of the original Town Commons c.1700. In 1868 Granby citizens erected a Civil War Monument to honor their soldiers. A park was erected around the statue in 1875. In 1892 a group of young people in town built a lawn tennis court.
4 East Granby Road - A beautiful white house the Green, was built by Ozias Pettibone in 1804. Purchased in 1834 by Dr. Jarius Case and stayed in the Case family until 1964.
Going north on Route 10/202 - Mechanicsville Road -
6) Manitook Lake or Cranberry Pond was created to supply water to the mill pond in 1836 by a hand dug feeder ditch.
7) Old Mill Pond Village is the area known as Mechanicsville. The white building west of the mill pond was a tavern, built c. 1760.
1832 - The Cornwall Foundry & Blacksmith Shop
1835 - Added a satinette factory and a woolen mill
1836 - John & Robert Forsyth established a saw and grist mill. All the old buildings are still in use and one building still contains old grist mill equipment.
Left on East Street
8) The white house on the northwest corner was built in 1735, and was a stagecoach stop, inn and tavern for over a hundred years.
9) 121 East Street - The old red house was built in 1750 by ....
10) Allen's Cider Mill - Uses a 200 year old building for making cider. In 1869 the upper floor was Phelps Hall, used for dances and public meetings. George O. Beach bought it in 1900 and continued the cider making tradition. In 1919 Arthur Allen purchase the mill and it became Allenhurst.
Cossitt Library, an architectural delight in red, was an 1891 gift to his home town from Frederick H. Cossitt, a generous native son.
Turn south on North Granby Road.
11) The building on the left side with the 2 story porch, was the North Granby General Store, built in 1861.
Shaw's Garage was the Dewey Carriage Shop in 1845. The only original building left is the red former blacksmith shop.
North Granby Road is a treasure trove of colonial homes built between 1740 and 1800.
285 North Granby Road -On the corner of Day St. across from the old Baptist Cemetery was the Obidiah Hayes Tavern c.1790.(Note the covered entrance for carriages)
257 North Granby Road - Was another early tavern, the Holcomb Inn, built by Judah Holcomb in 1740. The doorway is one of the most magnificent in Granby.
12) The Goodrichville section of North Granby Road -
The American Legion Hall was built as the Universalist Church in 1847. When the church disbanded in 1911, the building served as town school until 1949.
235 North Granby Road - The Goodrich Tavern built c.1775 has a unique ballroom. Most of the old inns had ballrooms. The Elizur Goodrich tannery was located across the street.
13) First Congregational Church - Established 1736, churched built on other sites in 1740 & 1785. This church was built in 1834.
14) Grange Hall - Built in1902 as Town Hall to replace burnt Town Hall- School building.
15) Pegville - Area at corner of Wells Road and North Granby Road. Truman Allen had a shoe shop in the yellow house at 10 Wells Road which was built c.1790. He started making shoes in 1814 and attached the soles with wooden pegs instead of nails or sewing, hence the name Pegville.
16) The intersection of 189 & Rt. 20 is the area used for town buildings, Town Hall, Library and Police Station, was once the location of Miles G. Gaines Trotting Park for sulkey races in the 1860s.
17) West Granby Road (turning right on Rt. 20)
The first open field on the right was once the Granby Fairgrounds in 1895.There was a grandstand and a half mile track.
18) Bushy Hill Corners
On the right there are 3 white houses closes together, the third from the corner was owner by well-known 19th century artist, Aaron Draper Shattuck. On the left is a stone house, the only in Granby, built in native stone in 1832 by Ansel Hayes.
19) West Granby (Left on Simsbury Road)
This is a street seemingly untouched by time, quiet, with many old houses from the early 1800s. However, it was once a bustling center of mills and factories. The white pillared house in the center was the Elam Kendall Hotel c.1810. Across the street from the a cemetery are the ruins of the 1800 Fancher Wheel and Carriage Shops and the 1900 Fancher Simplex Manufacturing Company. Beyond the Methodist Church is Broad Hill Farm built by Nahum Holcomb c.1790 and given to the University of Connecticut by Tudor Holcomb. This Granby benefactor also built the present Town Hall, gave land for the West Granby firehouse, gave land and money for the West Granby Methodist Church, and land for a small park in West Granby.
147 Simsbury Road - Was built in 1787 by Sadoce Wilcox and is still in the Wilcox family.
175 Simsbury Road - Was originally the Lower West Granby School built in 1877.
20) Barn Door Hills Road (Turn left on this road heading north)
This is one of Granby's earliest roads and has many colonial era homes. More of the McLean Game Refuge Land is on the right and you will drive between the two Barn Door Hills.
67 Barn Door Hills Road - Was built in 1769 by Samuel Hayes and has an unusual roofline.
21) Bushy Hill Road (Continuing straight across Rt. 20)
In 1720 Nathaniel Holcomb III built the beautiful home at 45 Bushy Hill Road which was recently place on the National Register of Historic Places. Reverend Isaac Porter lived here 1794-1832 during the 38 years he ruled the First Congregational Church with Puritanical zeal.
(Left on Kelly Lane, left on Creamery Hill Road)
22) 70 Creamery Hill Road was the location of the Granby Creamery Coop from 1889 to 1932.
(Left on Day St.)
23) About a half mile south on Day Street you will see the magnificent Granby-Dewey Oak Tree, between 400 and 500 years old. Please admire it with your eyes and camera only. There is a wonderful view of the Newgate Ridge in East Granby from the hill.
(Going south on Day Street to Rt. 20, turn right)
(Turning left on 219 South, on Barkhamstead Road )
24) 218 Barkhamstead Road - The Weed/ Hart House was built in 1738. This is the finest example of an early 18th century Saltbox in Granby. Note the plank windows and if you could look close you'll see the quarter sawn pine siding attached with rose head nails.
25) Enders State Park has hiking trails and a series of cascades and waterfalls.
Returning back to Rt. 20 going left you'll pass the Hamstead Hill Swim Club. A private organization founded back in the 1920s by the Hartford Insurance elite who summered in the Granby's. (Turning right on Beman Road to Higley Road, left to Silkey Road)
Silkey Road proceeds over what was also known as Popatunuck Mountain in colonial times.
26) 55 Silkey Road - c. 1792 The lovely white home on the right has one of the most wonderful views of the Farmington Valley.
27) 200 Silkey Road - c. 1810 Spring Hill, is a wonderful late Georgian colonial.
As you continue north to Mountain Road you'll see a spectacular view of Springfield, Massachusetts and the Mount Holyoke Mountain Range and on a clear day, U Mass.
(Turning right on Mountain Road and left on Donahue Road, then left on Lost Acres Road)
Lost Acres Road was the first road in Granby approved as a "Scenic Road".
28) 88 Lost acres Road - An outstanding c. 1760 colonial in nearly original exterior condition. Note the double doors and the 12 over 8 windows.
29) 100 Lost Acres Road - Lost Acres Orchard and Kitchen - This charming, pure New England family business is brimming with baked goodies and a nice little place to take a rest.
(Returning back down Lost Acres Road, turn right on Rt. 189)
30) 263 Granville Road - c. 1760 Built by Aaron Goddard, this unusual hip roofed colonial has been lovingly restored in recent years.
(Turn left on Silver Street)
31) The Crags on the corner of Silver Street and Rt. 189 is privately owned and there is no parking facilities. It is a scenic gorge and was the site of Martin Gossard's grist mill in 1794. The mill was still in operation until 1896 and was destroyed in the flood of 1955.
(Turning left on East Street, at the Cossitt Library, cross Rt. 10/202 and take the left fork straight on Quarry Road)
32) A part of the Farmington Canal can still be seen on Quarry Road which becomes Hungary Road. The canal once extended from Northampton Mass. to New Haven CT.
Hungary Road south will return to Granby Center.